La Tercera Crianza

<< Previous wine    Next wine >>
For La Tercera Crianza, all the fruit comes from plots that are located south of the Ebro River and protected by the Sierra de la Demanda, combining the Atlantic and Mediterranean currents, at an altitude between 500 and 720 meters above sea level. The soils are clay-sandy, the result of erosion over millions of years. The treatment of the vineyard is carried out with the utmost respect for the environment. We practice integrated production with lower yields per hectare and with an ecological tendency, in order to obtain a quality raw material that contains all the personality of the soil and climate, recovering the values ​​and origin of our viticulture.

2018 92IWR, 90WE 'Best Buy'; 2013 90IWC; 2011 90IWC

100% Tempranillo.

The wine is made using 15% whole cluster maceration. The other 85% of the bunches are de-stemmed and crushed. The must is macerated for 7 days at cool temperatures. It is then fermented in open-top stainless steel tanks for 15 days at 29 ºC to extract more flavor and tannin, followed by a post-fermentation and extended maceration for 7 days. The goal with these vinification methods is to make a wine of longevity. The wine is aged for 16 months in oak barrels, 90% French and 10% American.

The vineyards are located within Spain's most prestigious wine region, La Rioja (zone 3 and 4) Its climate, which has both Atlantic and Mediterranean influences, and its variety of soil make this D.O. unique and special. The average temperature from April to October is 61°F and the average annual rainfall is 18.3 inches. The vines are tended in limestone, chalk, clay and river stone soil at 568 m (1,865) elevation through sustainable viticulture.

Aromas of dried red berries, cherry pit, pipe tobacco and vanilla; a hint of white pepper adds vivacity. Coats the palate with smoke-accented cherry, vanilla and cassis flavors and shows very good energy and a seamless texture. The smoke and cassis notes carry through a sweet, subtly tannic finish that echoes the tobacco note.



Love this wine?

We'll keep you in the loop about special edition cases, recipes to pair, winemaker events and more.